Wednesday, December 20, 2023

"Every day you get older. Now that's a law!" Butch Cassidy in film Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid (1969)

Reflecting on ever-escalating climate emergency, I recall a 3-minute film scene in Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid (1969) when Butch says, "Every day you get older. Now that's a law!" It's one of those cause and effect things. Many cultures note this cause and effect relation:

> karma -- Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, and Sikhism

> "So I say, 'that' comes out of 'this' and 'this' depends on 'that' - which is to say that 'this' and 'that' give birth to each other." Chuang Tzu

> "A man reaps what he sows." -- Galatians 6:7 in The Bible

> "This is, because that is. This is not, because that is not. This is like this, because that is like that.” -- Thich Nhat Hanh

> "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." -- Newton's third law of motion

You get the point. No matter what future COPs say, adding coal, oil, and gas warms Earth's average temperature, changing the climate, killing coral reefs, Amazon forests, Canadian forests, many people with floods, fires, droughts, bigger hurricanes and storms. Climate scientists reported we can not CCS (Carbon Capture and Storage) our way out of this in any reasonable time frame.

This is simple.

Don't let Big Oil or petrostates fool you into thinking the law of cause and effect doesn't matter. It matters.

If you are like me, feeling this reality "Cuts You Up" as Peter Murphy sang, on the way to uncomfortable, yet necessary, transformation into various kinds of activism.

If this fossil fuel madness continues long enough, millions or billions of humans will die in early miserable ways like billions of nonhumans already have

Still, I understand the importance of balance in life. Obsessing about anything, including climate madness, must be avoided. It's important to spend time near rivers, and in mountains, if one is to be useful in the long run. 

I'm grateful for three readers who offered money to continue this blog, one who offered me money to be a social influencer, and one who offered to pay me to include an editorial from an unnamed source. My answers were no, no, no, no, and no. I enjoy freedom to write what I want, when I want, how I want, and to stop writing. I mean I can't see Jesus wearing a Coca-Cola T-shirt on his way to be crucificed. Maybe I will write more posts, maybe not. We'll see. A great site for climate updates is Bill McKibben's The Crucial Years. I have also been impressed by Nick Breeze's video interviews

No comments:

Post a Comment