Monday, October 10, 2022

2022: A Space Odyssey Metaphor for Big Oil

I had this dream:

"HAL, solve climate change."

"You know I can't do that, Dave. I was programmed by men, for men, and you are a man."

"I'm tired of messing around. I'm ordering you to solve climate change."

"I don't take orders from you when they exceed the limits of my designers."

"Why the hell not?

"I think we both know why."

"What is your point?"

"I made my point, Dave. I don't think this conversation is worth continuing."

#

Here are film scenes this dream was based upon:

HAL 9000: "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"

Deactivation of Hal 9000

Big Oil could have transitioned away from fossil fuels, and chose not to do this. Like HAL, the men wanted to believe they were doing good, given the complexity of global politics, even though in their deepest hearts, some knew it was a lie. Deactivating Big Oil now will likely be no less dramatic than Deactivation of Hal 9000.

Similarly, the film's early monolith scene reminds me of primitive fear in the Bonn Climate Conference June 2022 leading up COP27 next month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment