Sunday, February 10, 2019

"Why we need to rethink climate change, with Timothy Morton – books podcast, [The Guardian]"

I greatly enjoyed this 40 minute podcast because of how it humanizes thought about climate change in terms of the best of us -- creative, playful, humorous, empathetic, honest -- instead of evil anthropocene roller derby twin. Sure, it's almost a year old, but like Socrates and his almost- contemporary Chuang Tzu, still highly relevant (Did I mention I teach World Lit.?)  Here are some quotes, "One Buddhist teacher I know said once, 'You can't turn shit into chocolate mousse.'" Morton added "Your lab is your inner space." "I'm terribly keen on not dying." "Art is the future [ . . . .] telling me how to think."  The only pause I had was I believe in God, compassionate and just beyond human understanding. As the back cover of my last book notes, "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever" (Thomas Jefferson).

No comments:

Post a Comment