Friday, January 23, 2015

One Arming It in the Coast Range

Washington and Oregon steelheaders wait in icy dark for this, one joyful day at a time.
I hurt my left arm by sleeping on it, which gave steelhead an unfair advantage, but I caught two anyway.  For a month I have been going over boulders and along steep trails exploring, sometimes falling and crashing into brush or river -- but I injured myself in bed.  It reminds me of hearing about astronaut John H. Glenn, Jr. who orbited Earth in Friendship 7 in 1962, and in 1964 slipped in his bathroom and hit his head on his bathtub, injuring his inner ear.  It could happen to anyone.

Maybe my injured arm is karma for accidentally hooking a steelhead in the arm.  As I said before, the river has a life of her own. As Tom Robbins said in my post below, "Joy in Spite of Everything."

2 comments:

  1. So good to see you looking so well and doing what you love, Scott. May the river treat you as good as you've always treated it. I hope your arm heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todd, it is good to hear from you. I hope all is well with your writing and music. A few years ago my deckhand called me. He is now chief engineer on a boat in Kodiak. Just like a salmon, life is a circle.

    ReplyDelete