Saturday, October 6, 2018

Word & Image Show At Hoffman Center in Manzanita, Oregon

Last night I enjoyed reading at The Word and Image Show at The Hoffman Center in Manzanita, Oregon. I was one of twelve writers paired with twelve artists to respond to each other's work, meaning two poems and two images.  I'm grateful I worked with Karen LaGrave Small whose painting The Fear Fly is above. The free exhibit will remain on display throughout the month of October 2018 during the gallery’s regular hours — 1 to 4 p.m.,  Friday through Sunday. Here was my writer's statement:

"In the landscape of human experience fear and love seem to be universal, and many times in that order.  Love seems to be the older, wiser force. In conversation with the artist, and meditation on the image, that was the journey of my poetic response. A Grandfather Time figure in the Vancouver, WA coffee shop where I am writing this just said 'The light could go out for any of us any time, which makes worry unimportant.'"

Regarding Oregon opportunities, I am also grateful to PLAYA for interviewing me on their blog Edge Effects.  

1 comment:

  1. What a great concept! I love the blend of visual & literary art.

    ReplyDelete