Saturday, October 31, 2015

Cowspiracy

Tonight I watched Cowspiracy which showed industrial-scale animal agriculture may be a much bigger problem regarding climate change, species extinction, loss of rain forest, world hunger, and human diseases than I thought. This may be the most important film I've seen in the past four years. I'm glad 20 years ago, after I heard John Robbins speak, I became vegetarian or, with some exceptions, restricted myself to eating only creatures that were free before death such as wild-caught salmon and steelhead.  John Robbins was heir to the world's largest ice cream chain, Baskin-Robbins, and could have had an easy life, but instead chose a life of conscience.  If the Paris climate summit doesn't discuss industrial-scale animal agriculture, it is making a huge mistake.

Updated Nov. 1 -- Okay, I saw a challenge to the Cowspiracy film. I read the entire article at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/earth-to-philly/Livestock-and-climate-Whose-numbers-are-more-credible.html I also read the comments after https://www.reddit.com/r/vegan/comments/3lsiyo/reluctant_to_show_people_cowspiracy/ in which someone claiming to have done legal work (with a link to back that up) notes the "UN says animal ag is responsible for 14.5% of emissions" [instead of the alleged 51% in Cowspiracy]. Since the EPA notes transport is 13% [of climate change emissions] , and energy supply 26%, the 14.5% solid number for animal ag is still significant (EPA lists all Ag at 14%) < http://www3.epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissions/global.html >.

No comments:

Post a Comment